Thursday, October 27, 2011
Hardcover Army Books Are A Good Thing
Last night, Soundgarden kicked off a two day mini-tour in Grand Prairie. Since I can't hear anything at all today, I thought I'd take a moment to talk about something that's dear to my heart - the new trend in wargaming to publish more material in hardcover format.
We've been getting our rulebooks in hardcover as standard ever since Games Workshop published Warhammer 40,000 4th Edition (or somewhere there about) but in general, supplements were always done in softcover. Over years of actual use, these books can become truly warped and damaged because of the rough treatment they endure day in and day out.
Roleplaying books have long been available in hardcover. Not just the basic rules manuals, but strong supplemental material has been published in this format since the days of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 1st Edition. In fact, a lot of the books from thirty years ago see active duty today, by virtue of their hardcover design.
Why has it taken wargamers this long to figure out that hardcover is the way to go? Is it because army books / codeci come and go so often? I don't buy that as the answer, since frequently it's eight or more years between editions and thus, army books.
In the last few years, Privateer Press has made Forces of Warmachine books available in hardcover, and Battlefront have really turned up the quality on the recent hardcover theater books. I'm happy someone finally took the step to make quality books for us wargamers. Not only does it add to the lifespan of the book, but they look absolutely fantastic on the shelf. Way better than comic book sized softcovers.
Kudos to hardcover army supplements!
Now that GW has picked up the ball on Warhammer Armies books, I for one am eager to see the first specimen of the logical conclusion to this little experiment: hardcover Warhammer 40,000 codeci.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment