States of Play

Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tournament Day in Mirrodin-Town!


Hey Folks!

Sorry for the delay in posting, it's been almost a week!  I've been studying hard, getting the new sections ready to go up.  Today, I'm gonna talk about our first Magic: The Gathering prize draft here at the Wargate, which happened to be an awesome success!  Everyone had loads of fun for several hours, and walked away with something tangible for their efforts!


Everyone knows that I like Magic, but let me explain why.  I think the Draft tournament format is one of the better gaming experiences that one can have, even if you don't play with cards all the time or even have very much experience with Magic.  However, when a new environment comes along, there is a great opportunity for everyone to dive in all at the same level.  Now, we don't do a whole lot of cards over here at the gate, but I think this might become a staple for in-between larger campaigns.  It took the whole day to do the tournament (not because some folk turned up an hour late but hey, that helped) even though we had planned to start Pathfinder that evening.  Everyone turned up and had a great time in slightly different kind of atmosphere than normal here at the Wargate.  Check out everyone in their Sunday best, below!


A booster draft has tons of opportunities for really cool gaming.  Infect decks took the day, even though I managed to draft both Elspeth Tirel AND Venser, the Sojourner during the first pack!  A lot of folk drafted white / blue, so the pickings were slim but we all managed to eke out pretty nasty decks.  Greg and Skim had some bad luck, but for Skim's first time playing Magic since the 1990's I think he did awesome during the tournament!  Better luck for those guys in Mirrodin Besieged, the second part of the new Scars block and our next draft tournament, scheduled for sometime in February.


Here are the winners from the draft!  Here you can see Josh and Shawn holding the banner, with three packs each!  That's right - those two guys won all three of their matches, and they were running Infect!  We had a ton of fun, and look forward to busting through the rest of the multiverse with Booster Drafts, now a staple at the Wargate!

Later this week we'll be posting about D&D Realms, new campaign pages and lots more!  Check back every other day this week, it's gonna be awesome to the head!

No comments:

Post a Comment