States of Play

Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Terrain Log: Green World Rockies!

Howdy!

Sorry for the gap in posting, been a little wild around the house with Summer drawing to a close. We have lots of cool articles written by some of the other members of the Wargate coming up, so you can hear some more opinions by your fellow gamers on some subjects that are relevant to your interests!

In the mean time, I want to talk about our 'mountainous' terrain - the Green World Rockies! Ok, so they aren't really mountains...just kinda rocky. Hence, the names...but honestly I think I still prefer "mountainous". Lets go with that instead.

These two formations are modeled after some actual rock edifices we have here in Oklahoma. If you've ever been out in the wastes on I-35 near Ardmore, you will pass between them. They might be a little thicker, but on the table these two pieces are quite dynamic. As they totally obscure line of sight, it adds a dimension that was lacking in our games after Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition came out. We played with them for quite some time before I finally put the bases on these...what a pain that was. Now they are a mainstay on the table, and a a great many warriors have felt these walls concealing them from fire or closing them in for an assault massacre!

These two pieces have phallic nicknames that I won't repeat here, like Low Schlong and Penis Mountain. I'm not sure why they acquired those monikers. It was probably Warmaster Laserwulfe, but I digress. These are interesting pieces on the table, as the low one is good cover and difficult terrain to cross, or perhaps a barrier. The larger mountain is an important tactical piece due to it's sheer size...you can hide siege tanks behind it or get clear views for weapons teams on the summit, even claiming cover for the large phallic rock.

All these pieces were made from random bits of packing styrofoam. I cut them to shape with a hot wire cutter, then glued them together. I then coated each piece in a layer of elmer's glue, just like the hills. After that, it was safe to spray paint them black, then grey. Add a layer of flock, stones and peat moss and VOILA. Penis Mountain.

1 comment:

  1. Warmaster LaserwulfeWednesday, October 20, 2010

    -Cheers to Penis Mountain as the strategic stronghold that it is- Its either a great spot to put a squad or an epic blunder, your choice!

    ReplyDelete