States of Play

Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Standard in Casual: Zendikar to Eldrazi!

Well, we're almost to M11. No, I don't mean the 11th Millennium - I mean the year's big Core Set release for Magic: The Gathering. It's called Magic 2011, and it's going to change the Standard format in a big way - especially after Magic 2010 is rotated out with Shards of Alara when the Fall set hits this year (it's called Scars of Mirrodin, so I heard).

Actually, I don't really care to talk about any of that. I do want to take a moment and share my feelings about the latest block, which consists of the sets Zendikar, Worldwake and Rise of the Eldrazi. Each new block alters the way we play the game, and keeps everything fresh in and changing. Each new set is like a new season or game - one we have to learn if we want to excel in the competitions.

I play almost exclusively Standard format. That is to say, the last two blocks and the Core set. Currently that consists of M10, Shards of Alara, and Zendikar blocks. Recently I traded my Shards cards off, mostly because I really wanted to get back to dual color decks being the norm (at least for myself). You still see the triple colored Shards decks in the Casual room, but they are fazing out. Soon I'll trade my M10 - I'll be sad to see some spells go (like my currently Standard legal Shivan Dragons!) but I have no desire to play in Extended - things can get real silly, real quick.

I have drafted Zendikar and Worldwake both on the real and on MTGO. Of all the new things that have been released, a few of the new additions to the Standard format really caught my eye. Rather than run all through them, I'll hit on what I think are the highlights that get me a high win rate.

First of all, I'll start with the three Standard decks that got me the highest win rates, so far, least to greatest. These are all born of the current Standard format, mainly from M10 and Zendikar block exclusively.

3. Zendikons


The zendikons are giant hedron shaped structures that have existed upon Zendikar for thousands of years and no one really knows why. There are five different flavors of zendikon, one for each land. Why are these so powerful? Take a look...it's almost a hidden ability most people don't think of - these enchantments basically make creatures with Haste (can tap and attack on the turn they come into play). How? Because a permanent has summoning sickness ONLY if it comes into play during your turn, but if you cast this enchantment on a land you already have had in play, that land is not subject to summoning sickness. Add the fact that some zendikons are 3/3 or 4/2 and you have a hefty hit of Haste for just a few cards. My dual colored Standard in Casual deck bears 8 Zendikons, and has a 80% win rate.







2. Timothy ++

The old Timmy decks (built in blue and usually around Prodigal Sorcerer and Zuran Spellcaster back in the '90's) have seen somewhat a resurgence. In Standard right now, there are five Tims I can think of off the bat - Prodigal Pyromancer from M10 (a red version of the original Tim, we like to call him Eric), Vithian Stinger from Alara block and Cunning Sparkmage from Zendikar (basically the same card though the Stinger can also Unearth), the level up version of Tim called Brimstone Mage (which fully leveled deals Lightning Bolt damage) and to a lesser extent there are others as well, such as Blood Cultist and Deathbringer Thoctar. Why is this old engine still running, other than these awesome new cards? The answer is Gorgon Flail from M10 - creature gets +1/+1 and Deathtouch (whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, destroy that creature). Yeah - zap with a Tim to Deathtouch an Eldrazi monster. Generates tons of concessions. Win Rate in Casual is 80%.




1. Allies

Of all the new abilities in Zendikar, this one, I believe, is the most SICK. Take a look at this guy: Kazandu Blademaster. Now consider that you ONLY have allies and land in your deck. Every turn you summon another ally, then another, then another. There are a few spells that add allies, such as Join the Ranks (puts two 1/1 Ally tokens into play, triggering 2 ally waves for 4 mana). A second turn Kazandu Blademaster or Oran Rief Survivalist is murder - and add in a few others for extra effects. Some allies put counters on themselves, others put counters and themselves or others. Blue has card drawing powers, red can give all your allies First Strike and other attack bonuses, black has life loss allies and white has the single most stupid ally of all time - it's not our friend the Blademaster, it's the two mana Ondu Cleric. Gain life equal to the number of allies you control. Now consider it's turn six, you have three allies in play (one is the cleric), you play an Oran-Rief Survivalist (gaining 4 life and all other ally abilities) then you play a Join the Ranks (gaining 5 and then 6 life) and set off three sets of your allies powers for six mana, total. If you had a Hagra Diabolist, the same play would net your enemy life loss equal to (4+5+6=15 life). If you had Kazuul Warlord, you would put 3 +1/+1 counters on each creature you control (one each time an ally comes into play). These are in my opinion, the BEST option for playing in the new block, and even in the new standard. Win rate in Casual is 100%. No Lie - I have tested a red/green ally deck and a black/white as well, both have the same win rate.

So in conclusion, I'd like to let everyone know that the game is on! Magic is STILL one of the most competitive and widely spread games around. It's a strategy game that is quick and getting ever more brutal with each set. The game changes every three months, with new spells coming into Standard, and every three months spells rotate out. This creates an ever changing environment that truly demands skill to navigate successfully.

I'll admit, I don't buy boosters anymore. It's too cheap to find exactly what I want online on Ebay, usually for one dollar for four cards. Rares are more expensive - but not by much. Magic Online lets you experiment with whatever kind of deck build you want for pennies on the dollar, and you can play on demand. To all those gamers out there who once loved Magic, I issue the call to battle! Re-ignite your planeswalker spark and grasp a Lightning Bolt or Oblivion Ring once more!


No comments:

Post a Comment