States of Play

Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Open Duels!

Howdy, fellow adventurers!

Dave Bone here, and today I want to point out a opportunity we're missing out on.  It's something I've spoken about on Game Day but haven't actually put it into writing.  It's kinda a no-brainer, but just in case you were wondering, the Wargate supports open dueling - forever!

We've recently declared a formally supported time for Magic: The Gathering, and since I'm the principal proponent for the format we've adopted it should come as no surprise that I am all about it.  However, there needs to be time for practice outside of drafts and tournaments - and that is something I'm calling Open Dueling.

See, there can be a lot of downtime for certain folks here on Game Day.  Many different players rotate in and out of being "on the table" since space is limited, and there are many players of many games.  We have some smaller games, such as Mordheim and even Warmachine, but they aren't as quick and fast as our favorite card game.  So, it follows that Magic should be the go-to game for players not "on the table" during their downtime.

We usually have a full schedule on Game Day, and personally I'm run ragged by the end.  I'm involved in every single game, and by that I mean administrating the whole affair - down to being the guy the guy you ask asks for a solution.  I'm not complaining about anything at all, since I love all that, but I want to tell you: you can play Magic any time.  Nobody needs to give you the go-ahead, and I might actually be hard to find.  Anywhere, anytime you can find a spot and a partner you should get it on.  Really that applies to life in general.

We can spend a lot of money on our games, it's what we do in our spare time.  Get some more use out of that collection you have and bring a deck to the Wargate to throw down in "pick up" games right on the spot.  It will give you practice, experience and a way better chance on the day of our next tournament if you can get a few matches in with as many different players as you can.

So, Modern will be our go-to format, but if you want to ask for a Classic or Standard go right ahead.  Your opponent might willing to go Commander or any other variant you can think of.  Two Headed Giant, Emperor - Magic is varied enough that we can stay playing all year long in Open Duels and our tournaments and never run out of interesting battles.

So, I end this like I end all my posts.  An exhortation to battle!

Bring a deck on Game Day!  Get at least one match of Magic in every week or you're not getting your money's worth!

MOAR FIGHTIN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment