States of Play

Pages

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Terrain (Back) Log: Green World Woods!

Greetings!

I've decided to document the terrain we built this last year in the same manner I intend to document further creation of terrain, such as with the "Brown World" project Skim and I will be beginning soon. I've actually got a design spreadsheet with nothing but terrain interactions and iterations guiding these projects along, so it's already conveniently broken down.

Many astute Wargate veterans will notice that these woods in their current iterations were actually much earlier this year, and for that reason these articles will be labeled the "(back) log". We'll be starting the (back) log with this article.

I love trees. Especially on the tabletop battlefield, nothing says 'this is a nice table' quite like trees. I'm not sure why...probably because they jut up from the ground in a very phallic manner.

See what I mean?

We have two strains of Green World trees, coniferous and deciduous! Yeah! Variety rocks! The old pine trees have seen their share of duty, some of them are at least twelve years old. Some of you may remember the Ice World table of the late 1990's we had, and those trees are almost all that remains of that old set. Also, all the bases in this article are reused from the last iteration of terrain we did in 2000-2001 ten years ago. Recycling does, in fact, rule.

The deciduous trees were bought from China earlier this year. I got a bargain on them, and was able to build 4 more bases of woods. I learned to differentiate woods in Battletech - that is, usually you can categorize woods as 'light' or 'heavy'. At the Wargate we use the 'house' rule that if a piece of terrain has clump foliage on the base it is 'heavy' woods and thus difficult terrain. If you look at the photo below, you can see only 1/3 of the pieces are actually light woods (the pines on the right).

Yes, the woods are quite hairy around the Wargate.


There is also a deadwood, made from old Woodland Scenics trees. I used the wrong kind of adhesive on the trees way back in 1998, and the clump foliage you're supposed to use to flesh them out into deciduous plants just fell off. I think that's where the "foliage on the base" rule started, actually. Anyway, now they are dead, and they look cool. (Sez I).

That's it for now, but we'll be posting some nifty articles later this week. Just remember what we've learned today here at the Wargate - don't poke the underbrush, unless you've got an assault cannon.

1 comment:

  1. Warmaster LaserWulfeTuesday, September 07, 2010

    Takes me back reading this... 1998... We were making terrain scenery out of toys, train kits, and disposable food containers.

    Alot of fun adding home made effects to the GW building kits... We have a vast collection at Warmaster Dave's that need assembly soon!

    ReplyDelete