Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Greyhawk Adventure Time!
Well! It's nice to be back in familiar territory once again. Greyhawk Adventures was the first place many of us ever explored, and I must say it's the setting for D&D that's most familiar to me. Sure, I had my love affairs with Dragonlance and Ravenloft, and even a little Forgotten Realms on the side. I cultivated a secret love for Dark Sun, but to me Greyhawk is the ridiculously impossible "vanilla" D&D coolness. You know, the one with all the tropes and gamer nerd paraphrenalia?
Our Greyhawk campaign will take us through the forgotten editions of Dungeonland. We're doing this is AD&D 1st Edition (hence referred to as 1e) and all the orange spine items. We've got a huge collection of stuff here, and I plan on using all of it! All the stuff from the basic, printed rulebooks are in use, and of course all the new stuff from Unearthed Arcana. Well, it's not new now...but you know what I mean.
We're about to embark on a quest. That is, the club. We're going to play huge, published campaigns in every edition of D&D over the next few years. Now, we've been playing a lot of Pathfinder and 3e but now it's high time we ran some of these old-school published adventures, and played them how they were written with the rulesets they were written for. That's why there's no Edition War here.
We're starting out with T1-4: The Temple of Elemental Evil, but I have a lot of material from that same era and we'll be showing how it progresses in the Campaign Log. We've got the entire classic campaign together, and to avoid any more spoilers than I've already given (though you can pretty much predict the course of the campaign, if you were so inclined) I'll not be giving the exact list of modules here on the site until the 1e romp is finished.
The group had a blast at the first real session of the game, and even though we didn't have big turnout it was sorta an off day for the club. Next week however, we'll most likely have 50% more players...and it should be noted that 1e was written for a much larger group than 3e's assumption of 4 players.
For my own opinions, I'd just like to leave you with these nuggets.
I believe magic items are bought and sold on Oerth, but it's shops of magic that are rare, rather than magic items themselves. Oerth is completely saturated with magic.
We will be using the printed works as best we can, RAW (Rules as Written).
There is some contention on the intent of certain passages in the old Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide. 1st Edition is a completely different beast when used on it's own. I'm pretty sure I have all the pertinent information nailed down for reference, though we're sure to encounter some more strange obfuscation at some point.
Then again, we are prepared for a different sort of game now.
We can only hope the Player Characters are ready for that game.
Greyhawk Adventure Time!
Dungeons and Dragons|
Welcome to the Inner Sanctum!
Beyond the Supernatural - The Mountain of Power
Flames of War - Operation Hanover
Warmachine - Edges of Ios
States of Play
The results are in! The Wargate's 2011 Necromunda campaign comes to a close with some interesting news - there's been an Imperial ...
Tomorrow we begin Under A Vast Grey Sky , the first part of a new Dark Heresy cycle that will be running here at the Wargate! For those ...
Today's Community piece comes from Home Regiment's newest member, King Arthur! He wanted to share a little about himself to our me...
Elrond's refuge at Rivendell is often called the Last Homely House, so-called due to the fact that it is the last civilized area a trave...
- Bone Method (12)
- Clan Strife Battles (3)
- Community (28)
- D20 Legacy (2)
- Dungeons and Dragons (20)
- Flames of War Battles (10)
- Flames of War Projects (2)
- Index Mardannon (8)
- Legend of the Five Rings (2)
- Magic: The Gathering (20)
- Middle-Earth Battles (9)
- Middle-Earth Projects (4)
- Middle-Earth Roleplay (5)
- Painting Log (1)
- Palladium Megaverse (12)
- Reaper Miniatures (2)
- Rulebook Ruminations (16)
- Star Wars Battles (2)
- Terrain Log (19)
- Wargate Rules (2)
- Warhammer 40k Battles (19)
- Warhammer 40k Projects (14)
- Warhammer 40k RPG (18)
- Warhammer Fantasy Battles (15)
- Warhammer Fantasy Projects (3)
- Warhammer Fantasy RPG (16)
- Warmachine Battles (14)
- Warmachine Projects (2)
- World of Darkness (11)
- ► 2014 (31)
- ► 2013 (61)
- ▼ November (5)
- ► 2011 (87)
Through the Gate!
- Aberrant Games - Cool Futuristic Minis!
- Acheson Creations - Terrain for your Table!
- Antenocitis Workshop - Wargames Supplies!
- Anvil Industry - Alternative Technologies!
- Artizan Designs - Historical Minis!
- Avatars of War - Commanders and Champions!
- Black Hat Miniatures - Multiple Genres!
- Black Scorpion - More Awesome Minis!
- Blindant's Army Painting - Now On YouTube!
- Chapterhouse Studios - Conversion Bits
- Conquest Games - Get your Medieval on!
- Copplestone Castings - Plenty of Minis!
- Corvus Belli - Miniatures for many occasions!
- Cracked - You know you love it too.
- Crocodile Games - More Minis for Your Games!
- Daily MTG - get jiggy with it!
- Dark Age Games - Multigenre Minis!
- Dark Sword Miniatures - Special Fantasy Figures!
- Dry Erase Ads - Just What You Need!
- Dwarven Forge - Awesome Dungeon Terrain!
- FRP Games - Multigenre Support
- Fantascene - 28mm Gaming Terrain!
- Flames of War - Battlefront's WWII Game!
- Games Workshop - Good ol' gee-dubya.
- Gamezone Miniatures - Nice Fantasy Alternatives!
- Gaspez Arts - Assorted Strange Beings
- Grindhouse Games - 1940's Futurepunk!!
- Hasslefree Miniatures - New Hunters and Fighters!
- Infinity - Futuristic Skirmishers!
- Iron Wind Metals - Metal Minis for All Genres!
- JR Miniatures - Quality Buildings and Terrain!
- KR Multicase - Affordable and Effective Storage for Your Minis!
- Khurasan Miniatures - What size robot/monster do you need?
- Kromlech - Awesome Conversion Bits!
- Lead Adventures - Assorted Adventure Minis!
- Magister Militum - Awesome Array of Various Figures!
- Mantic Games - More Fantasy Figures!
- Master Wong TV - Unleash the Wong!
- MaxMini - Because Bits Matter!
- Mercs Minis - Violent Sci-Fi Warriors!
- Micro Art Studio - Gaming Items from Poland!
- Mirliton Miniatures - Original Grenadier Molds!
- Musketeer Miniatures - 28mm Warriors for Your Hordes!
- Otherworld Minis - Classics Brought to Life!
- Pig Iron Productions - 28mm Sci-Fi Hooliganry!
- Privateer Press - Warmachine!
- Pulp City - Heroes Available in Pulp and Super Flavors!
- Puppetswar - For All The Bits.
- RAFM - Where you're not sure what the letters mean.
- RPGnet - For their useful reviews and handy info.
- Raging Heroes - Fantasy and Sci-Fi Bents!
- Ramshackle Games - Yet More Figs for Fantasy and Sci-Fi!
- Reaper Miniatures - Awesome Characters!
- Rebel Minis - Loads of Insectoid Monsters!
- Sabol Design's Army Transport
- Scibor Miniatures - Monstrous New Warriors!
- Secret Weapon Miniatures - Weapons and Secrecy.
- Spellcrow - More Options!
- Studio McVey - Minis by Mike McVey!
- TV Tropes - Knowledge is Power.
- Taban Miniatures - Strange Monsters and Heroes!
- The Army Painter - Get 'er done!
- The Assault Group - For all genres!
- The Cave - Ada's Comic and Games Store!
- The RPGsite - For all the cows.
- Troll Forged Miniatures - For Fantasy and Sci-Fi!!
- Ultraforge Miniatures - Giant Monsters!
- Victoria Miniatures - Resin 28mm Warriors
- Wargames Factory - Swords and Guns!
- Wargames Foundry - Limitless Hordes!
- Warhammer Armies Project - "Unofficial" Army Lists!
- Warlord Games - World Spanning Conquest!
- Warseer - Best wargame Forums on the Web
- Westwind Productions - Historical, Fantasy and Sci-Fi!
- Wreck Age - Nice Sculpts, Nifty Concepts.
- Wyrd Games - Makers of Malifaux